Can a Final Property Order Be Set Aside?

Family Law

minutes reading time

DATE PUBLISHED: February 11, 2022

key takeaways

  • There are 5 circumstances in which a final property Order can be set aside. 
  • The Court is reluctant to set these orders aside as one of the main principles of the Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) is that property Orders provide finality of the matter.
  • For the Court to set aside a property Order, there will need to be substantial amounts of evidence provided.

Have you recently obtained final property Orders and want to know if you can set them aside? Read below to find out more. 

What are the grounds to set aside a property Order?

A final property Order can be set aside, other than by consent, in very limited circumstances. An application can be made to the Court to set aside the final property Orders in the following circumstances:


There has been a miscarriage of justice as a result of fraud, duress, suppression of evidence, the giving of false evidence or any other circumstance. For example, an Order might be set aside if a Court was satisfied that a party failed to disclose an inheritance that they received prior to the making of the final Order; 


It is impracticable for the Order to be carried out due to circumstances which have arisen since the orders were made.


A party to the Orders has failed to comply with their obligations to an extent that is just and equitable to set aside the Order and make another order in substitution. For example, if one party failed to pay spousal maintenance as required by the Orders, the Court might make an Order setting aside the final property Orders and providing for the party who was to receive spousal maintenance to receive a higher percentage of the property pool.


If the Court is satisfied a child of the marriage or a party who has responsibility for caring for a child will suffer hardship if the Court does not vary or set aside the Order and make another order. The circumstances must be of an exceptional nature. For example, a change to the care arrangements for the children as a result of the death of one of the parties soon after the property orders had been made has been considered by the Court to be an exceptional circumstance.


If a proceeds of crime order has been made covering property of the parties to the marriage.

The Court will be reluctant to set aside a final property Order as one of the main Family Law Act 1975 (Cth) principles requires a final property Order to provide ‘finality’. This means a clean break of any financial connection between spouses. The Court will require substantial evidence before it will be satisfied that a final property Order should be set aside.


If you think one of the above 5 situations might apply to you, then you may have a chance of being successful with this matter. However, as stated before, the Court will require substantial evidence to set your property Order aside.  If you are considering making an application to the Court, we urge you to seek legal advice and guidance.

how we can help

The Family Law Team at McInnes Wilson Lawyers can provide you with advice on whether you have grounds to set aside a final property Order. We can ensure your Application under s 79A is carefully drafted and supported with sufficient evidence to give you the best prospects.

The Family Law Team can also assist if you are currently negotiating final property Orders with your ex. We can provide you with advice about what you are entitled to receive in the property settlement so you are fully informed before you agree to enter into a Consent Order. It can be very difficult to set aside a Consent Order if you later regret it.

Don't Miss a Beat

Subscribe to MCW Insights

Still Have Questions?

Make an Enquiry

Can I Relocate With My Children After Separating From My Partner?
How Using Social Media Can Affect Your Family Law Matter
Can a Final Property Order Be Set Aside?
What You Need to Know About Property Settlement When Separating From Your Ex
How to Apply to the Court for Parenting Orders
Can the Court or My Ex Make Me Vaccinate Our Children?
Top 10 Major Changes In The Merger Of The Federal Circuit Court And Family Court
Can I Travel More Than 10kms Within Queensland To See My Child?