August 25, 2017
Employer Liability and Workers Compensation | QLD
On 22 August 2017 the Minister for Employment and Industrial Relations, Minister for Racing and Minister for Multicultural Affairs, Hon. Grace Grace MP, introduced the Work Health and Safety and Other Legislation Amendment Bill 2017 into the Queensland Parliament.
In accordance with the Standing Orders 131, the Bill was referred to the Finance and Administration Committee for consideration and report by Thursday 5 October 2017.
In her explanatory speech, the Minister advised the Bill would give effect to the substantial legislative recommendations contained in the Best practice review of work health and safety in Queensland report. The Minister advised the Bill would:
- introduce an offence of industrial manslaughter into the Work Health and Safety Act 2011, Electrical Safety Act 2002, and the Safety in Recreational Water Activities Act 2011.
- establish an independent statutory office for work health and safety prosecutions
- address issue resolution matters by expanding the jurisdiction of the Queensland Industrial Relations Commission to include hearing and determining work health and safety disputes
- restore the status of codes of practice as existed under the Workplace Health and Safety Act 1995
- prohibit enforceable undertakings being accepted for contraventions, or alleged contraventions, of the Work Health and Safety Act 2011 that involve a fatality
- reintroduce the ability for a person conducting a business or undertaking to appoint a workplace health and safety officer, and
- enhance support for, and the role of hazards and risks in the workplace
Call for Submissions
The committee invites submissions addressing any aspect of the Bill, from all interested parties. Guidelines for making a submission to a parliamentary committee are available here: Guide to making a submission. Please ensure your submission meets these requirements.
The closing date for written submissions is Thursday 14 September at 4:00pm.
Submissions should include:
- the author’s name and signature
- if the submission is made on behalf of an organisation, the level of approval (e.g. a local branch, executive committee or national organisation)
- mailing address (and email if available), and
- daytime telephone number.
Please ensure your submission includes the above or it may not be considered by the committee.
Submissions should be sent to:
Committee Secretary, Finance and Administration Committee, Parliament House, George Street, Brisbane Qld 4000
Public briefing and hearing
The committee will be holding a public departmental briefing and a hearing with stakeholders to assist with its consideration of the Bill.
- Public briefing – Wednesday 6 September 2017
- Public hearing – Monday 25 September 2017
Thursday 14 September 2017
Wednesday 6 September 2017
Monday 25 September 2017
Thursday 5 October 2017
To subscribe to receive updates on the work of the committee, please click here.