Australia’s financial lines insurance market is impacted heavily by consumer legislation, other significant legislative reform and the perception of ‘deep pockets’ of professionals and their insurers.
Profitability for financial lines insurers requires knowledge and discipline by underwriters and claims managers alike.
McInnes Wilson Lawyers’ Commercial Litigation and Insurance team is actively involved in assisting clients to keep abreast of legal peculiarities and changes, managing clients’ claims and delivering results with distinction.
We have acted for over 20 national and international underwriters and have expertise in all facets of insurance and claims management:
- Acting for professional indemnity insurers in defending claims for financial planners, valuers, solicitors, barristers, accountants, insurance brokers, healthcare providers, engineers and other construction professionals
- Defending directors and officers and the corporations they serve
- Acting for insurers and insureds in professional complaints and statutory liability proceedings
- Defending fraudulent claims
- Financial institutions' liability
- Public and product liability claims
- Contract works, credit and warranty insurance
We specialise in:
- Insurance indemnity disputes
- Actions against financial and insurance advisors and intermediaries
- Property related disputes
- Private and public shareholder disputes
McInnes Wilson Lawyers has extensive experience handling financial lines claims for insurers.
We understand the importance of accurate reserving for insurers and early resolution of claims.
We also provide important input and insights for our commercial clients in insurance related matters and disputes. For example we:
- Assisted a liquidator client in the recovery of capital insurance claims initially declined.
- Conducted successful Supreme and Federal Court claims against underwriters at Lloyds on behalf of the Responsible Entity and its directors for indemnity under certain Financial Institutions insurance policies.
- Reviewing and advising on insurance policies and cover for professional firms and commercial clients.
- Successfully recovered damages from an insurance broker for negligent failure to advise as to the availability of flood cover sought by a landholder client pre-2009 floods and resolved a similar claim against a client insurance broker.
- Averted a claim against the client Contract Works insurer for damage caused by faulty design and construction of a contractor involving the Mooloolaba International Hotel.
- We advise on typical and tailored insurance products whether project based or more general.