McInnes Wilson Lawyers has a wealth of successful corporate recovery & dispute resolution and litigation experience in Queensland and throughout Australia.
Our clients include Government (e.g. Commissioner of Taxation), government owned corporations (e.g. Energex), private and public corporations including lenders and insurers (e.g. Commonwealth Bank of Australia and QBE), privately owned businesses and individuals.
Our Corporate Recovery and Dispute Resolution team has expertise in:
- Receivership, voluntary administration and winding up of companies
- Competition and Consumer Act and Corporations Act disputes
- Taxation disputes and litigation
- Banking and finance litigation
- Personal Property and Securities Act disputes
- Debt recovery
- Turnaround management and restructuring of distressed businesses
- Building and construction litigation and insolvency
- Franchise litigation
- Advising directors and shareholders of companies experiencing financial stress
- Professional liability
- Property disputes
- Regulatory enquiries, investigations and prosecutions
- Trustee litigation
- Intellectual property litigation
- All forms of breach of contract, tort and statute litigation including property, trusts, banking, construction and commercial and consumer litigation
We have experience in all aspects of insolvency and commercial litigation. Recent matters include:
- Acting in the resolution of a commercial dispute between joint venture partners in a coal mining operation as well as joint venture partners in a property development in a growth corridor in South East Queensland.
- Resolution of dispute concerning joint ventures/shareholders in a manufacturing business.
- Acting in numerous taxation disputes including in the Administrative Appeals Tribunal, Federal Court, Full Court of the Federal Court and the High Court.
- Advising on a complex finance dispute including defending suspension and cancellation proceedings by ASIC against a responsible entity of a large managed investment scheme.
- Acting to defend prosecutions by regulatory bodies of companies and individuals over alleged infringements of the Competition and Consumer Act, Corporations Act, the Australian Securities and Investments Commission Act and other statutory frameworks including recently defending proceedings brought by the ACCC against the owner of a franchise business with approximately 50 franchises across the nation.
- Acting in the winding up of managed investment schemes with books debts exceeding $100 million.
- Intellectual property rights including a dispute concerning the alleged infringement of a heavy machinery manufacturer’s industrial designs in the Full Court of the Federal Court.
- Advising and representing organisations and individuals summonsed to appear before Royal Commissions and other investigatory regimes to give evidence, make submissions and assist with potential recommendation making for the future.
- Advising the directors of a distressed mining service company with regard to a restructuring of its operation to ensure continuity of its business. This restructure was awarded the Queensland Restructure of the Year award for 2013/14 by the Turnaround Management Association.
- Advising and resolving a dispute between directors of one of the largest financial institutions head quartered in Queensland.
- Acting to recover from sophisticated investors a loan book with a book value exceeding $200 million in a failed agricultural managed investment scheme.
- Acting for financiers/receivers and managers and liquidators in respect of numerous recoveries including work outs and sale of aged care facilities, partially completed property development projects of up to 120 units, body corporate and management rights for commercial and residential buildings, pubs, clubs and sporting organisations, farming and agricultural land, real estate agencies and the like.